A smile is considered a hallmark feature of aesthetics. Teeth play a crucial role in smile enhancement, but not all will be blessed with sparkling teeth to impart a celebrity smile. Some are born with it, but others have to strive for it.
Our renowned dentist in San Diego, CA, and their team offer comprehensive and compassionate patient care. They are dedicated to providing you with the best at-home teeth whitening procedures to rejuvenate your smile aesthetics.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening or bleaching is a common dental procedure opted by many to lighten the shade of your natural teeth using chemical agents to enhance the appearance of your smile. Though in-office whitening systems are popular, presently, at-home whitening methods are gaining momentum due to the amount of convenience offered by them.
How does a teeth whitening procedure work?
Teeth whitening systems consist of an active bleaching agent such as carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. This active ingredient usually breaks down into tiny oxygen bubbles when in contact with water to eliminate stains on the tooth surface.
Why do I need teeth whitening?
Your dentist may recommend teeth whitening for the following reasons:
- Form on the superficial layer of the tooth surface due to high-pigmented beverages like coffee, red wine, tea, and cola.
- Yellow, brown discoloration of teeth due to excess smoking or tobacco use
- Staining of teeth due to medications like tetracycline
- Form due to the natural aging process, which wears away the enamel surface, exposing the underlying yellowish dentin.
- Tooth discoloration due to fluorosis (excess fluoridation during tooth development)
How can you whiten your teeth at home?
At-home teeth whitening systems are simple and convenient. Below is the breakdown of the steps involved:
Fabrication of trays
- Your dentist will evaluate the severity of tooth discoloration and your social habits to determine the cause.
- A full mouth impression will be recorded and sent to the laboratory for fabricating the bleaching trays.
- These are thin, clear trays made up of biocompatible plastic for effective results with minimal allergies.
Using the trays at home
- Brush your teeth before you use the trays to remove any food debris.
- Apply a sufficient amount of refrigerated active gel on the trays and place them inside your mouth.
- You will be advised to use the trays with a special whitening agent twice a day for 30 minutes.
- However, overnight use is also suggested depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening.
Virtually, when you opt for a teeth-whitening solution, you can experience moderate to substantial improvement in the brightness and whiteness of your smile.